Visit Campus

Facebook McMurry on Facebook

Twitter McMurry on Twitter

Instagram McMurry on Instagram 

View More of McMurry Social

• Alumni

McMurry student honoree has, for years, been intent on becoming a teacher

From the Abilene Reporter-News

By Joy Lewis/Reporter-News Meagan Ake (right) is McMurry University's recipient of the Education Deans of Independent College and Universities in Texas Student of the Year.Photo by Joy Lewis
Meagan Ake isn’t one of those college students who spent her first two years deciding on a major. Rather, she knew long before she enrolled at McMurry University that she was going to be an elementary school teacher.

“I knew from the time I was in first or second grade that’s what I was going to do,” said Ake, who is McMurry’s recipient of the Education Deans of Independent College and Universities in Texas (EDICUT) Student of the Year.

“It was kind of overwhelming,” said Ake about receiving the award from the McMurry School of Education.

Ake and the other 52 recipients from Texas will be entered in a state competition in the fall.

Perry Kay Haley-Brown, dean of the School of Education, said Ake, a 2008 graduate of Jim Ned High School, set herself apart by her self-starting attitude.

“I don’t have to go find her,” Haley-Brown said. “She’s one of those students who come into your office with ideas. She gives me ideas, and it’s usually the faculty that’s giving the ideas. She’s pretty much self-motivated.”

Ake said her teachers in Tuscola inspired her to become an educator.

“I think they must have encouraged me so much that I wanted to teach,” she said. “I always had a passion to teach kids.”

Ake currently is teaching at Wylie Intermediate School, where her aunt, Heather Ake, also is a teacher.

“I love it over there,” she said, admitting that not every student she has is a little angel. “But it’s good to have all of them.”

Ake, who will graduate in May, will move to Fort Worth, where her fiancé will enter medical school.

“She won’t have a problem finding a job,” Haley-Brown said. “With the ESL (English as a Second Language) endorsement, that’s a real foot in the door.”