Request information

Visit Campus

Facebook McMurry on Facebook

Twitter McMurry on Twitter

Instagram McMurry on Instagram 

View More of McMurry Social

• Alumni

McMurry University Features Photography by Ellie Hamby in Ryan Gallery Show beginning May 15

ABILENE, Texas – Photographer Ellie Hamby’s Antarctica: A Perspective will be on display at the Amy Graves Ryan Fine Art Gallery beginning May 15. A reception with the artist will be from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Saturday, May 19, in the Ryan lobby. The show and reception are open to the public free of charge.

Ellie Hamby is a professional documentary photographer with exhibitions of work in the USA and Africa. Born in Shattuck, Oklahoma, she attended Northwestern State College and the University of Texas in Austin. Hamby, who has traveled to Africa every year for the last 32 years, currently lives in Abilene and serves as co-director of Zambia Medical Mission. She also has an international business “Photos by Ellie” located mainly in Zambia featuring postcards, bookmarks, and note cards. She lived in Zambia from 1983 to 1989 and has traveled to over 95 different countries and 7 continents.

In describing her show, she said “Antarctica is a harsh land of extremes … and of incomparable beauty. It is the coldest and the windiest of all the continents. It is the highest of all continents, but it is also a desert. Antarctica is the driest of continents, but yet its great polar ice cap smothers nearly the entire landscape locking 70 percent of the world’s freshwater in ice and snow.”

‘There is a profound artistic beauty in the Antarctic that gave me a sense of privilege in capturing this beauty through the lens of my camera. It was fascinating to see the life which thrives along the edge of the ice and sea — the penguins, seals, whales, and other fauna and then to see icebergs floating and ice mountains appearing as if they were on fire.”

“I have traveled to over 95 countries and to all seven continents, always with my camera at my side. My interest in photography did not begin with a burning desire to see the world through a camera, but it was motivated more by my curiosity, sense of adventure and desire to explore the world. As a photographer, I like to capture a person’s emotions and to see how they interact with their environment. In the Antarctica, this was not possible, but the overwhelming beauty more than made up for this. I have covered a significant amount of territory in my travels, but being able to capture through the lens of my camera the purity and beauty of Antarctica, was a profound experience.”